MDV is a tiny app written by AVID editors for AVID editors.
Primarily it is made for media management at the file system level. Unlike the AVID’s Media tool, MDV uses direct file and path access and allows you to organize and archive your media inside the complex, not always simply-named structure of AVID’s media folders.
MDV supports all kinds of connected drives and media - from USB sticks to NEXIS storage, network drives, any kind of SAN, etc. MDV was extensively tested in AVID shared storage environments. Scanning speeds are optimized for low bandwidth - so you can manage and identify your media even over slower wi-fi network. The MDV scanner engine uses AVID’s .pmr and .mdb database files to identify media, and, as a result, MDV is compatible almost with any AVID editing system: Composer, Symphony, Express, or Newscutter.
MDV is free and will always be free.
Any supporting materials, such as articles or tutorials are welcome.
Feel free to use, give feedback and suggestions.
Sincerely yours - DJFio[DB].
*Note - you have to sort "UNMANAGED_FILES" manually because MDVx doesn't have enough metadata to do that.
2019 feb 8 MDVx updated to 0.1 build 2799
- Changed: now .DS_Store and Thumbs.db are visible in results - you can easily delete them
- Changed: behavior when no drives selected after Big Button pressed
2017 jul 27 MDVx updated to 0.1 build 2796
- Fixed: random crash when scanning on older systems
- Improved: scanning speeeeeed! approx. +20%
2017 jul 25 MDVx updated to 0.1 build 2787
- Added: Simlple quick preview overlay on spacebar key shortcut
- Fixed: 10.7,10.8 OSx compatibility issue
- Fixed: some GUI glitches
- Fixed: some more bugs
2017 jul 19 MDVx updated to 0.1 build 2638
- Added: parsing metadata from "Unmanaged" MXF files using libMXF
- Changed: metadata column names for UIDs to match libMXF behavior
2017 jun 26 added Python module for reading PMR files v0.0.1
for those who need it. it is a cross platform module.
- Retrieves: file-project associations from PMR files
- Supports: XML export
- Supports: tab separated list export
2017 jun 19 MDVx updated to 0.1 build 2637
- Added: ability to show/hide metadata columns in the database window - right-click on the header
- Changed: visualisation of dragging .avb files into the database window
2017 jun 14 MDVx updated to 0.1 build 2634
- Fixed: bin filtering issue when inexistent files being displayed
2017 jun 6 MDVx updated to 0.1 build 2589
- Added: User Manual - see the .pdf file
- Fixed: Some UI labels to match the manual
2016 dec 30 MDVx updated to 0.1 build 2587
- Added: little improvement to database bin filter - intersect/add/substract.
2016 sep 16 MDVx updated to 0.1 build 2557
- Added: More known resolutions
- Added: DNxHD bitrates metadata
- Added: bit-depth / bits per sample column
2016 sep 12 MDVx updated to 0.1 build 2482
- Added: more human-readable resolutions
- Added: fps and samplerate metadata columns
2016 aug 24 MDVx updated to 0.1 build 2439
- Added: Audio-media filter
- Added: Resolution metadata column
2016 jul 24 MDVx updated to 0.1 build 2352
- Changed: renamed "UNREFERENCED_FILES" to "UNMANAGED_FILES" for more understandable representation of the items
2016 jul 23 MDVx updated to 0.1 build 2350
- Changed: previously added right-click menu moved to "Export Summary" button
- Added: "Export database view" option inside "Tools" menu - you can export csv/html with filtered items from the database view.
2016 jul 18 MDVx updated to 0.1 build 2326
- Added: the ability to Export "Project summary" report in variety of formats (csv,html) - the right-click menu with export options inside "Project Summary" window. Thanks for the idea to Jef Huey
2016 jul 07 MDVx updated to 0.1 build 2277
- Changed: Use multiple bins at once as the database filter. (maybe for backup multiple finished projects at once)
2016 jul 06 MDVx updated to 0.1 build 2267
- Added: text search field in database window.
- Added: When you double-click on the item in database window - it will be shown in finder in the new window.
- Changed: "Projects Summary" now is under the "Tools..." menu.
2016 jul 05 MDVx updated to 0.1 build 2224
- Fixed: incorrect project assosiation bug. (another one)
2016 jul 03 MDVx updated to 0.1 build 2189
- Fixed: incorrect project assosiation when you drag .mdb database into AVID bin.
files was associated with last-opened avid project.
Now taking associations from .mdb. Thanks to Jef Huey
- Speeded up .MDB parser.
- Drive selector update. Thanks to Isaac J. Terronez
- Moved some interface things around.
- implemented all Copy/Move/Delete core functionality - "actions"
- all "actions" have their own event log.
- everything was tested in 10.7x,10.9x,10.10x environment, on never and older macs.
- speeded up unity/ISIS/network interaction
- fully tested on ISIS. Thanks to Igor Nikolaev and Ilya Shapilov for remote access to their facility.
2016 mar 05 MDVx initial beta release 0.1 build 01
|MDVx.zip||08-Feb-2019 14:39||1.3M||MDVx for OSX 10.7+|
|MDVx-theManual.pdf||20-Jul-2017 00:26||646K||MDVx - the manual|
|MDVx-icon-512.png||05-Jul-2016 04:00||99K||MDVx icon|
|mdv_screen.gif||20-Mar-2015 15:55||61K||MDV for Windows - screenshot|
|MDV_AVID_20jul08.zip||20-Jul-2008 13:00||89K||MDV for Windows v0.4 (jul-20-2008)|
|MDV_AVID_23jun07.zip||23-Jun-2007 13:00||185K||MDV for Windows v0.3 (jun-23-2007)|
|MDV_AVID_10feb07.zip||10-Feb-2007 12:00||216K||MDV for Windows v0.2 (feb-10-2007)|
|MDV_AVID_23oct06.zip||23-Oct-2006 13:00||211K||MDV for Windows (oct-23-2006)|
MDV does not include any source code derived from reverse engineering of any application or library.
All code was developed based upon published specifications and/or trivial examination of data files.
MDV is not based on the Avid OMF Toolkit or Apple Bento in any way. It merely supports their file formats.